Board of Directors Job Description & Expectations
Purpose: To advise, govern, oversee policy and direction, and assist with the leadership and general promotion of the Modern Quilt Guild, so as to support the organization’s mission and needs.
Mission of the Modern Quilt Guild: Our mission is to support and encourage the growth and development of modern quilting through art, education, and community.
- Organizational leadership and development
- Continued creation and oversight of policies and procedures
- Financial oversight including adoption and oversight of annual budget
- Oversight of program planning and evaluation
- Review of organizational and programming reports
- Membership- and program-related strategic planning
- Promotion of the organization
- Personnel evaluation and staff development (Board officers only)
- Strategic planning
*Members of the board share these responsibilities while acting in the interest of The Modern Quilt Guild, Inc. Each member is expected to make recommendations based on their experience and vantage point in the community.
Length of Term: Each director holds office for three years, at which point the term may be renewed (as determined by the majority of the remainder of the board), or the director may step down if they so choose.
Meetings & Time Commitment:
Regular meetings of directors will be held every two months via video chat. The board also meets each year at QuiltCon. It is strongly encouraged that all board members attend QuiltCon.
Committees of the board or task forces meet as necessary depending on their respective work agenda.
Expectations of board members include:
- Attend and participate in meetings on a regular basis, and special events as able.
- Serve on task forces or committees as is a fit.
- Help communicate and promote The Modern Quilt Guild’s mission and programs.
- Become familiar with The Modern Quilt Guild’s budget, and financial/resource needs.
- Understand the policies and procedures of The Modern Quilt Guild.
- Financially support The Modern Quilt Guild, Inc. in a manner commensurate with one’s ability.